Friday, July 1, 2011

More visitors!

A couple of weekends ago we were blessed with more visitors in our home!  My mom, my sister Terri, and my niece Abby came out from Bemidji, MN for a nice long visit!  To say Dashiell was excited to see them was an understatement.  Visitors mean built-in playmates, and it means we go out and do stuff we don't do on a regular basis, like travel into Boston or go to the beach or visit cute coastal towns.  Which is what we did!  They got in on Thursday after a LONG day of traveling, so we mostly chilled out at home for the afternoon.  On Friday we all went up to Newburyport for the morning so Abby could go to the Life is Good store there, and as luck would have it we discovered that Newburyport is totally cute!  I've lived out here for almost 14 years, and this was my first excursion there.  Tons of shopping, and it's really kid-friendly.  We did manage to eat at the worst restaurant in the whole city, though, which was less fun (seriously, we were the ONLY customers and it still took an hour to get our food!  And the crab sandwich?  It was a whole crab, shell and all, deep fried and thrown on a bun.  And it tasted fishy, to boot.  The waitress claimed it was "their best sandwich - everyone loves it!"  Sure.  Long story short, don't eat at Glenn's in Newburyport).  After our sad lunch, Rick and Dashiell headed home for a nap, and us ladies went to Kittery, ME to do some outlet shopping.  I didn't buy anything, but Terri and Abby found some great deals.

Sunday we headed into Boston!  We even rode the T to get there!

Okay, I admit, I chose the picture of Dash and I on the T that I look best in, not the one he looks best in.  It's my blog, after all.  But Dash was excited to ride the train, and he did a great job getting on and off and wasn't too impatient during the waits between stops.  I think we were more impatient than he was, especially since it wasn't clear that we were supposed to take a shuttle at North Station instead of waiting for the next train and we almost missed our Duck Boat tour!
That's my attempt at getting a picture of D and I on the Duck Boat.  I think it more than makes up for me choosing a decent picture of myself on the T.  Dashiell did well on the tour, though towards the end of the "driving" part of it he was getting a little bored.  THEN we got on the water!  That was totally exciting for him.  Though he did keep asking if we could go over a waterfall, and I had to explain that the goal of most boating expeditions was to avoid the waterfalls, not travel down them.

After the Duck Boat, D and Rick once again headed off for a nap, and the rest of us went to Cambridge so Abby could visit Harvard.  While she is only 16 (only?  Wasn't she just 8??) and not ready to apply to colleges yet, Harvard is one of the schools she's strongly considering.  I hope she gets in!  It would be fun to have her around!

We visited with Rick's parents and grandparents that night, and we got a nice pictures of Nana and Grandma with Dashiell.

How cute is that?

Monday we all headed to Revere Beach (except for Rick - he had to work) for the morning/afternoon, and after Dashiell's 30 minute crying jag regarding the use of sunblock, we all had a great time.

It was a fun visit, and I was sad to see them go on Tuesday.  But the good news is that Rick, Dashiell and I will see them in just over a month when we go to Bemidji for my High School Reunion!  Yay!

Oh, one last cute picture of Dashiell, Terri and Abby:
Aww... :)

No comments: