Sunday, May 6, 2012

So What'cha Want?

In honor of the passing of Adam Yauch (MCA of the Beastie Boys), I wanted to share a couple of Dashiell memories from a couple of years ago when he had a serious thing for the Beastie Boys.  For a while when he was about 2, they seemed to be his favorite band - anytime they came on the radio he would jump around and sing.  It was super cute.  In fact, the first time I noticed Dashiell actually singing along to a song on the radio was when he was about 20 months old on our way to play group.  (You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (to Party) came on the radio, and while I was singing along I heard "Fight! Right! Party!" from the back seat.  It totally cracked me up to hear this not-quite-two-year-old singing to the Beastie Boys!

Dashiell doing his best Beastie Boys impression, circa Jan. 2011


Then came the obsession with the song "So What'cha Want?".  This was when he was just a little older than 2, and whenever that song played he would run to the radio so he could hear it better and sing "What'cha Want?  Want?" and make me sing to it too.  We also had a period of a few weeks when he wanted me to play the video over and over and over again on the computer (a concert video of it, actually) - "Can we watch the computer song?"  If I didn't like them so much I would have quickly grown bored of it, but it was the Beastie Boys - how could I object?


The actual video, not the one we watched :)
 
I'm not going to claim that I've been a fan from their hardcore days, but I have liked them for a good long time (I distinctly remember listening to them with an ex of mine, which would have been right around 1995).  I'm happy to have shared this band with my son, and only wish that we could have had the chance to see them in concert together.  Rest in Peace, MCA.  You'll be missed.

No comments: