Friday, April 5, 2013

My Big 5-year-old!


Dashiell is 5 today.  It doesn't seem possible, but he is 5.  FIVE.  That's the big time.  Next year he'll have to use a separate hand to show how old he is.  Wow.  Five.

Dashiell, you are one of the most amazing kids I know.  You are so kind to everyone, and you love your sister so much that it makes my heart swell seeing you with her.  I LOVE the shear number of times you tell me you love me every day.  EVERY day.  Because I love you that much too.

You treat the world like it's one big science experiment, and it always amazes me to see what ideas and experiments you come up with.  Sometimes it's not always good ("what will happen if I move the ottoman while Aurelia is leaning on it?") and sometimes I just wonder exactly why you want to show me the things you're showing me ("look at this! If I gargle my milk it spills on my shirt!"), but I love that you always want to share what's going on in that head of yours.  I know that soon enough it won't be that easy to tell what you're thinking!

You are your own person, and always have been.  You live in your own world, and you hardly ever follow the pack.  You have a path that you're on, and no one is going to convince you to take another one.  Often you concentrate so hard on whatever it is that you're working on that you don't seem to even notice anyone else is around! 

You are so sensitive, and while it breaks my heart to see you sad about anything, I hope you are able to hold on to that trait.  It makes you a caring, sweet friend, someone who others feel lucky to know.

Next year is going to bring some big changes, I know, but I also know that you are up for the challenge.  You are my smart, funny, loving, amazing little boy, and I love you more than you'll ever know.  Happy birthday, sweet Mr. D!  I can't wait to see what the next year brings us!

No comments: