Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Ultrasounds and Articles

Well crud. I just got a call from my OB's office about our "20 week" ultrasound, and we won't actually get it until the 23rd week!! I thought for sure they'd be able to get us in before Thanksgiving, but no, we have to wait until Nov. 29th instead. That's like an eternity away!! But I guess there's nothing we can do about it. Sniff.

On a completely different note, I was reading a very interesting article in the Boston Globe Magazine about infant academics, and I think I can say with some confidence that we will not be drilling our 4-month-old on classical composers and famous artists. For one thing, our child will naturally be a genius so we don't have to worry about such things. ;-) But for another, can't we let our kids be kids? Obviously it's important to provide mental stimulation for your child so that their brains develop properly, but I want a kid who is excited about learning new things, not stressed out that they aren't living up to unrealistic goals. The article definitely leans the same way (some may even call it biased, but since I agree with it I won't use such a loaded word...). I recommend reading it if you have time--it's pretty lengthy:

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2007/10/28/rush_little_baby/

Hope you are all doing well this fine Tuesday! Take care--

-Suzi

No comments: