Thursday, July 17, 2008

Sing a song...

Now that we're trying to get Dashiell on a regular sleeping schedule, I've been trying to come up with good night time and nap time rituals to help him transition into sleep mode. Thankfully he's already a pretty good sleeper and hasn't needed these rituals much, because honestly I kind of suck at them. What I'd like to do for our ritual is pretty simple--one book (or part of a longer book), one song, sleep. And currently he's eating immediately prior to his final bedtime so that's part of the ritual as well. The "one book" idea is fine, though our boy does get a little antsy sometimes when we're reading to him. It's the "one song" that I'm having trouble with! I'm horrible at remembering the words to songs, especially lullabyes. It's been ages since I babysat and needed these lyrics at my disposal, so now I get part-way through a song and have to make up words. Poor Dashiell will never know the real lyrics to "Twinkle twinkle little star", and he'll think that "You are my sunshine" is just the refrain repeated a couple of times (and really, there's no excuse for that one--how many times have I listened to the "Oh Brother Where Art Thou?" soundtrack?). We have the "Rockabye Baby - Nirvana" album that I'll play when getting ready for bed, so sometimes Dash gets a lullabye version of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" or "Heart-shaped Box" (I do remember most of those lyrics). Not very traditional, but at least they're songs!

Someday I'll get better at the song part of our ritual, I'm sure. Until then, we'll keep muddling through...

Oh, today's picture was taken on my phone last week--ya gotta love a baby in a tank top.

No comments: