Friday, September 19, 2008

So unfair...

Why is it that when I'm the one taking care of Dashiell for the day, he is awake and ready to go at 6:30 am, but when Rick's taking care of him he sleeps in until 8:10? What I wouldn't give to sleep past 8 am!! Yes Dashiell did wake up at 5-ish, unhappy and wanting to eat, and yes Rick was the one to feed his so I could sleep, but how many times have I gotten up with him to let Rick sleep or because he's working overnight? Hmmph. Just not fair--I think they're plotting against me...

Actually I can't complain much--In general Dashiell's sleeping is getting much better. He was waking up at least once a night, usually around 4 am, babbling to himself. We were getting up with him and feeding him then, but realized that usually (besides this morning) he wasn't unhappy when he woke up. So last weekend we tried coaxing him back to sleep during the early morning hours with a quick belly rub and a pacifier. It worked! For about 5 mornings we were able to get him back to sleep easily--I can't tell you how much more rested I've been feeling! I'm hoping the 5 am unhappiness this morning was just a fluke.

His napping is better, too--he's not on a set schedule yet, but he pretty consistently takes a short nap (45 min - 1 hr) in the morning, a long nap (2-hour) around noon, and another short nap in the late afternoon. If we could somehow convince him to just take 2 long naps that would be ideal but at this point we'll take what we can get! He's been much less prone to crankiness the past couple of weeks since he started napping more. Not that he ever gets overly cranky but we're so used to the smiley, happy kid that he is that it's just so apparent when he's overtired!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

-Suzi

No comments: