Friday, December 7, 2012

And then there was Aurelia!

Since my Thanksgiving post was pretty Dashiell-centric, this time I want to focus on my littlest cutie, Aurelia (or 'reels, as I like to call her).  After all, my girl is 11 months old today!  That's almost a year!!  Wowsa!

Best bedhead ever!

'Reels has been doing some awesome stuff lately.  Not only is she cruising the furniture like a maniac, she also loves walking while pushing stuff (mostly the kitchen chairs).  And last week she started letting go of the things she uses for balance!  She stands for about 2 seconds, then plops down on her bum.  That's the real reason babies wear diapers - they provide excellent padding! 

 

Aurelia showing off at the mall - "Yeah, I'm standing here one-handed.  It's no big thing."


She is a fast, fast crawler.  It made me realize that the most likely reason Dashiell walked so early is because he was never a good crawler.  He did his leg-scootch thing so he could pull himself across the room but it wasn't the most efficient way of moving.  He probably figured out early on that he needed a faster way to get around, hence walking at 10 months.  Aurelia is such a good crawler that she doesn't need to figure out walking on an accelerated schedule!  She's doing her own thing and is right on track.

She's still a pretty good eater and will try most anything, however I think she's getting frustrated by her lack of teeth.  Her third tooth came in about a month ago, and I swear it looks like EVERY OTHER TOOTH in her mouth is ready to bust through.  Yet they are all taking their sweet time.  I try to give her food that involves a little more "chewing" but since she can only gum at it she usually spits it out.  Poor thing! 

She LOVES playing peek-a-boo, and will often initiate a game while in the midst of a diaper change.  Suddenly she'll cover her eyes, then pull away her hands and look expectantly at you, like "are you going to say it??" which of course you do, "peek-a-boo!".  Then she does it 5 more times, then lifts up her right foot so you can give it a kiss.  The foot kiss is a very important part of the game.

 Playing at the Discovery Museum in Acton - she was fascinated by these buttons - they turned on the lights above it, and she was so happy figuring that all out!

She is trying very hard to communicate with us.  Tons of babbling, pointing, and frustrated crying and screaming.  The other day Dashiell said, "I wish I could speak baby so I could understand what she's saying!".  We all do, buddy.  But it will come.  In the meantime we're attempting baby sign language and talking to her as much as we can so when she does start to talk she'll know exactly what she wants to say!

Life with Aurelia is pretty great!  I still can't believe she's almost a year old, though.  I better start planning the big bash soon!  Whee!!

No comments: