Friday, September 10, 2010

The Big Boy Bed

(Yes I'm catching up on all my blogging, finally.  But I think this is the last one for today!)

Our little guy has successfully transitioned to a big boy bed!   It's really just his crib converted into a daybed/toddler bed, but still, it's a big deal!  The timing couldn't have been worse, but the week before we went to Minnesota we caught Dash trying to climb out of his crib, so we had to promise him that as soon as we got back from our trip he could sleep in a big boy bed.  We explained that it would still be his crib but with one side removed, and he was so excited about it he would explain it back to us a few times every day ("Rails go away.  This side of crib will be open!").  So we bit the bullet, and the day we got home from MN we converted the bed--it took all of 5 minutes to do.  Have I mentioned how much I love this crib?

Anyway, in case you don't remember, the night after we got back from MN was the night Dashiell got sick.  The above picture was taken earlier in the evening, about 2 hours before the puking began.  So here's our poor kid, in a bed that's somewhat unfamiliar, sicker than anything. It did make sheet changes slightly easier, but I felt bad for him.  Change is tough, and it's much worse when you feel crummy.  But he was a trouper!  And he loves sleeping in his big boy bed, even though he sometimes falls out of it (note the pillows on the floor next to him).
I've been dreading this transition for months--considering how much Dashiell likes to have books in his crib, I thought for sure he'd be getting out of the crib constantly to bring more books in bed with him.  But he's been great!  I told him he had to stay in bed, and he's stayed in bed!  For the most part.  There was one incident the second night of sleeping in the bed:  I had left a tupperware "bucket" next to Dashiell's bed and gave him the instructions that if he felt sick he should attempt to throw up in the bucket (I know, wishful thinking...).  At about 4:45 am the next day, I'm blissfully sleeping in my bed when I hear our bedroom door open.  I'm still mostly asleep and it registers as Rick getting up to go to the bathroom.  A second later Dashiell is standing in front of my face, holding his tupperware up, and yelling "I have a bucket!"  I wake up with a start, look at him, and tell him he has to go back to bed.  Poor kid heads back to his bed, and seconds later I hear sad little sobs coming from his room.  So of course I have to get up, acknowledge the bucket, and make sure he's okay.  He was fine, he just wanted to show me that he still had it.  And no, he didn't go back to sleep.  It was a long day on Monday, that's for sure.  But every time I need a little chuckle now, I say, "I have a bucket!"  It was pretty funny.  Maybe you had to be there.

1 comment:

Cheri Pickard said...

Suzi: Just wanted to say I got a chance to drop in (shocking!) and the photos of Dash sleeping are just precious. Sorry about all those mosquito bites. Ryan swelled up something awful after a few times this summer we did not go in or get the repellent on fast enough. It stinks.
Thanks for sharing. I love the main photo too--he is sooo cute!
Cherip from Insp.